Tuesday, May 21, 2013

FInals are over!

Hello,

Sorry that I have not posted in forever. Finals were brutal and I also just lost all my energy when I was not studying.  To distract myself, I went on a bit of a Castle binge - love it! The show is amazing and I just love Nathan Filion.  He was the main character in Firefly, the sci-fi show which ended abruptly but they at least made a movie, Serenity.  But he is just amazing in Castle.  When I was not watching, I also began to do some of the things on my todo list that perhaps I should have put off until after finals but doesn't that just always seem to happen when you should be studying.

Well last Wednesday after my morning final, S and I went uptown for lunner and a Yankees game.  S is the biggest Yankee fan I have ever met - actually biggest sport fan I had ever met.  Even though I play college basketball, I was never big into watching games on the television or going to a game.  This was my second Yankee's game since moving to NYC three years ago.  But before we went, S and I went to a Yankee haunt - Frankie and Johnnies Pine restaurant - its Italian and so delicious.  We took a packed train all the way to the Bronx and then walked a few blocks.  I was a little nervous, especially because I had never been in that area before but S guided us to the restaurant and we had a deliciously large meal.   I had not eaten since before my exam so I had to order fried mozzarella right away!  I also had a hankering for fettuccine Alfredo and luckily for me it came with shrimp and scallops! It was really delicious.  I highly recommend this place if you are ever up in the Bronx.  
 Haha...taking selfies -- we are that cool...
 The train station where we got off was a little run down - maybe under construction - I hope! However, I love that the 4,5,6 trains always have those monitors that tell you how long you will have to wait for them - I don't understand why not all the subway trains/stations have those monitors? They are so helpful and I bet will improve people's moral or mentality, I mean if I wait 5 minutes for a train but don't know when it is to arrive, it will feel like forever and I certainly would get agitated but with the monitor I know and can wait for the time, even if it is 10 minutes!
 Outside of the restaurant - S was really excited and I was starving!

 I love it when you can tell the mozzarella sticks are fresh and homemade - not some microwave package - honestly, I hate fried food.  Fried food tends to upset my stomach, but I always have to order fried mozzarella.  
 My main meal - yes, it is rather large, and no, I did not eat it all... It served as part of my dinner the next day.
S' meal! She had penne with their homemade basil tomato sauce and grilled calamari -- she was a happy camper!

Talking about food is getting me so hungry, and with only two days left in the city, I have to figure out where I am going to be eating my fill of deliciousness.  Sadly, I have not been able to eat at PEEPS, a cool thai restaurant this year or at my favorite lobster roll place in the city (my ultimate favorite is definitely a lobster roll place in Maine).  
Here are some of my favorite places to eat in the city - or places I have had good times and still have photos of...

Peeps - not my photo but from the web - and is located below Houston in the west part of SoHo.  One can get a really affordable lunch there and get a lot of food for your money! 
 My dad and I went here one evening for dinner because we could not get in to Gramercy Tavern for an early dinner.  It is basically across the street and I had one of the most delicious meals I have ever had, but it was a tad pricey but being part of my family, a delicious meal is definitely worth the cost.  
 This is my favorite lobster roll place - and has a really cool vibe.  I have been here a few times with family as well as T.  It is really delicious but again pricey.  Love it! Just passed it the other day while walking around east part of SoHo.
One of my favorite sandwich places besides Panera!  So delicious and supposedly there is one close to Union Square but I have never been.  I usually go to the one in NoHo, on Lafayette.  I always order the turkey and pesto panini.  So good! It usually helps me survive some of winter break in the city during season. I actually just went there yesterday - and was as delicious as I remember.  

But back to my Wednesday, where S and I went to the baseball game.  
The Bluth's Banana Stand was there for the day - it is from the tv show Arrested Development.  S is a big fan and I enjoy it so we had to stop by.  Sadly they were not giving out any frozen bananas, so they were just there for photos but it was still fun.


I know, I am disgusting, even after eating way too much pasta, I still got ice cream.  But to my defense, I had been craving soft serve for like a week and when I saw that I could get it, I just had too.  Plus it was a few hours later and you can always find room for dessert.  
After the game, we went back to the dorm and I tried to study, but I think I watched an episode of Castle before calling it a night.  The next day, we both had slept in till almost noon and eventaully we got up and saw what a nice day it was and had to run some errands.  So we began in Madison Square Park and got shake shack shakes (chocolate peanut butter of course!) before walking around and then continuing on with our errands.   



In the park, there is this really cool art installation of sailboat rope that has been woven together and then painted red, blue and yellow and it goes throughout the park.  I thought it was really cool!


As we headed down 6th avenue, we passed a chipotle where four fire trucks had pulled up too... not sure what was going on but I took a photo of the fire truck and the fire fighters... there is just something about a man in uniform risking his life.

The next few days were spent trying to study, binge eating, sleeping and watching castle.  My mom came into the city after having driven to Georgia with my sister, then flown back to NoVa and then get in a car to drive to Westchester before coming into the city to pack all my stuff up and take it either to Westchester or back home.  It was good to see her, I miss her way too much when I am away, and I also got to see our family friend who is letting me store my stuff in her house outside of the city as well as my dear Aunt.  Love them all and I had a good time and we managed to get everything out.  I then had to get back to studying because my two finals were only mere hours away and I began to panic.  Honestly, I did not sleep a wink that night even when I tried.  So obviously, my finals did not go well.  I hope that I pull out good enough grades so that I can be done with them but I am a bit worried.  Oh well.

But, I promise, Jordan week 5 and the rest will be up shortly! Sorry for the long delay, but I got back to NoVa late last night and I have a lot of work to do around the house before I leave for Dallas but I definitely will make time to keep updating and posting.  I miss S but I get to see R soon and hopefully T at some point! I also have to say, I am glad to be out of the city.  While there are a lot of good things about NYC I was getting really tired of Union Square and just certain types of people who like to live up to their stereotypes and lash out at total strangers.  SO not appropriate.  I guess the warm weather brings out the wackos but speaking of warm weather, boy is it hot today in NoVa - 90 degrees! Yikes! You would think I would be able to handle it after living in the Middle East, but I assure you I have readjusted and I always have been more of a fan of the milder climates.  What I do love, is that it is so green... I will have to take some photos in attempts to capture it and share them with y'all.

Also, check out this story:

and here is the music video that accompanies it:

It is so sad but also made me so proud of the human race and how strong and good we can be.  It is in all of us.  Hope you enjoy.

Thanks for reading. 

With joy,

A





No comments:

Post a Comment