Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Friday night = Cooking Fest!

Hello,

So Friday I shopped online and watched the food network - caught up on iron chef! I am so into the tournament of champions! So of course I got in the mood to start cooking and this whole semester I have wanted to make one of my crock pot recipes that I had pinned at some point earlier.  However, I have my mom's crockpot from her first marriage and it has never been used before.  Over 30 years old, so I won't be leaving it alone but when am I going to be around for just a bunch of hours to see if it a) works and b) does not burn down my building - actually probably more often then I should be but that usually means I'm asleep.  So Friday I decided to make honey sesame chicken in the crockpot and took some pictures.
My awesome but super old crockpot!
 The ingredients and my computer - for the recipe!!
 There is the chicken waiting to become tasty!

 cooking!
Finished and just waiting for me to top them with the sauce that was left in the crockpot - I had to thicken it, but I did not read the recipe properly so messed up where to add the cornstarch so instead of thickening it just tasted a bit chalky but still good!  As always, there is a first time for everything but S loved it! So I hopefully can make it better in the future and it only take 4.5 hours in the crockpot unlike some of the other recipes I want to make, which take over 7 hours!! 
Here is the link for the recipe.

So you would think we were full after that but you forget, it's finals time so at some point between 11 and 12 we decided, yes we deserve puppy chow and we need to make it!! Some would call it munchies but it is a regular occurrence for us!! Or at least used to be, lately it's been more just a can of icing to split.  So then I made puppy chow for S and myself (I make puppy chow, she makes amazing guac!!).
I don't make it in a bowl, one of my nannies from when I was little taught me this trick, so I always have made it this way and trust me, it is much easier - and a lot less to clean up afterwards! 
 The ingredients...
Final product - eating it while laying on my bed as I rightfully should be!

My recipe for Puppy Chow

Step 1: 
  • Take an entire box of Rice Chex and pour the cereal into two different ziploc bags.


Step 2: 
  • Recipes usually say 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, but I usually use one of the normal size bags (12oz I think) you can buy in the grocery stores and pour all the contents into a medium sized bowl.  If you have the Costco sized bag of chocolate chips, then measure 1 cup.
  • add 1/2 cup of peanut butter - normally I use JIF creamy, but any type will do - though I have not tried the organic kind.
  • 1/2 cups of butter or margarine
  • put all this into the bowl, and put into microwave uncovered for 1 minute. 
  • you can choose to stir it after the 1 minute, but usually I don't and just put it back in the microwave for another 30 seconds.  
Step 3:
  • Mix together the melted ingredients until all is combined
  • You can add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, S and I never do, it does not really need it but in other recipes it is suggested - if you do, mix it into the bowl.
  • Pour mixture into the two bags 
  • Close the two bags and shake.  You can move the cereal around, do whatever you want but you want all the cereal to be covered
Step 4:
  • Add the powder sugar - the recipe suggests 11/2 cups of powdered sugar
  • I normally eyeball it, close the bag, shake and see if all the cereal is covered, and if not add more.  You want all the pieces to be covered in the chocolate peanut butter concoction and then the powder sugar.  
  • Don't be surprised that the sides of the bags are also covered.  
  • Enjoy, your delicious (definitely not low calorie) snack! 



Boy do I love cooking and this was all for Friday night.  I am actually really excited to not have a meal plan next year because I just really love watching cooking shows and finding awesome recipes! But yes, that is how we live it up in NYC on a Friday night - I know not the best but what can I say other than its finals... and I can have a dance party in my room with my favorite songs and with S in our pajamas! 

Over the last few days, I have watched Social Network for the first time - I know I am behind the curve on this one but I just had not been around when it came out and I refuse to pay movie theater prices - especially in NYC.  The only reason I say Iron Man 3 last week was because I got free tickets! By the way, both movies were awesome! I also had a flashback to the 90s and decided to listen to the entire N'SYNC album: No Strings Attached.  In my opinion, best way to spend my Monday night after having such an awfully busy day.  Sometime in the evening, I actually found the courage and energy to go for a quick run at palladium (I can't believe that it took me this long to realize that I like working out there and I really want to try to climb the rock wall - it will be interesting to see how I do with my fear of heights.) and then waited in line for midnight breakfast to begin (@11)... I was done earlier than I thought with my run so I got to be right at the front which is cool with me but when S and I had left the line went all the way to the entrance, we had to go out the back entrance - it was too crazy!  
 Front of the line -- waiting for midnight breakfast ("Breakfast at Tiffany's" was the theme) to open
 Only the beginning of the line - S playing her game she can't get enough of.
Me bored - I was actually working on this post but I had difficulty loading the photos, which is why I am finishing it today.




It was fun - but all sugar for the most part.  We brought some back to the dorm but I left it out and it is tough/hard today so not worth it...

Now, I am just waiting for S to be finished with one of her "take home" finals.  Afterwards, I don't know what -- I should study, but the thought of accounting and balance sheets makes me want to curl up in my bed.  And our suitemate AB left :( she is moved out! So jealous... I want to go home... and she took some of her dishes with her and with only a week left, maybe we wont have any more of these happen:

Super gross right??? I am so excited to have a dishwasher next year - trust me, in NYC a dishwasher is a luxury! 

Thanks for reading!  Hopefully I will have the energy to go through all my photos to post Week 5 of Jordan later tonight - it is mainly of my trip to Wadi Rum I think... but I took a lot of photos so always fun.  

With joy,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment