Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Weird Recipe #2 - Another recipe I came up with while living in Jordan

Hello,

Ready for another one of my weird made up recipes!  Before I go too in depth explaining about how to create this recipe, I wanted to explain where it came from.

I love carbs - especially bread and pasta!  I am an athlete so I eat a ton of them during pre-season and season, and way too much for being out of season!  But, I also get really bad headaches (like in my eyes, which makes it really difficult to do anything in the sun or around lights) - I know I am a vampire!  So basically I tried to go gluten free to see if my headaches would stop or at least become less frequent.  Don't get me wrong, maybe it would have worked but with the terrible heat in Jordan and food options, my headaches not only got worse, but came almost every day for a while, so I figured it just was not worth it to be completely gluten free.  However, this recipe is one that I came up with while living in Jordan and still gluten free. I will also tell you, I love this recipe and make it all the time!! It is super easy to make and quite delicious though I end up wanting more until the rice noodles expand and make me super full!  I need to work on eating slower so I can let them fill me up before I eat too much and go into a food coma!

Funny enough, I had the choice sometime in the last week of living in Jordan either to suck it up and not eat this anymore or go out and buy more of the ingredients.  SO of course, I went out and bought more of the ingredients which meant that the last day and half, I ate this way too many times so I would not waste any food.  It was totally worth it.  Ok so here is the recipe!

Ingredients:

  • rice noodles - instant (with water) 
  • tomato sauce - pasta sauce
  • low fat/part skim low moisture shredded mozzarella
  • parmesan (like the powder type...can't remember what you call it but you can buy it in the bottle shake/pour out)
  1. Place rice noodles (as much as desired) into a container filled with water - its ok if the rice noodles don't initially fit all under water, as they soften, you can either bend them to fit or they will do it on their own.  For them to soften takes about 10 minutes - maybe less or more... I don't always pay attention I usually put them in, do some stuff and then test to see if they are flowy/ready to eat...
  2. Heat sauce pan with 2 tablespoons (more or less - I eyeball it depending on how much of rice noodles I am making - I don't even measure to be honest just am like that's good) and a handful of the mozzarella that I drop into the pasta sauce.

  3. Heat till the sauce starts to bubble/make noise and then drain water out of container and add noodles to pan.  


  4. Using wooden spoon or spatula move the noodles around with the sauce till evenly coated and warm through and through - turn pan off and put noodles onto dish

  5. add as much Parmesan as you would like 

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.  Total time is about 20 minutes but it goes by fast because you are not really doing anything for the first 10 minutes...actually it probably takes more like 15 minutes total.  I love it...and I guess it is good for gluten free as well as just being delicious.

Thanks for reading.

With joy,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment