Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Tasty Tuesday

Hey Y'all!

This week, I am going to share with you my mother's homemade pesto recipe - which you can also find almost everywhere on the web.  It is super simple and is perfect because I have a way of making it for an individual portion! It's a trick that my mom taught me and this way the pesto doesn't go bad if you don't use it right away.  I mean you are most likely making the pesto so you don't have to throw out all that basil you either bought or grew so I love it.

I pretty much eyeball everything and it also depends on the size of your food processor but here is a list of what you need:


  • Basil (roughly chopped) - in this recipe, I have a small food processor so I pretty much used about 1.5 cups; it was also all the basil I had.
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil (then about 1/2 cup to 1 cup depending on how much you are making and what type of texture you want the pesto to have).  
  • 1/3 cup of pine nuts (or more again depends on how much you are making - I will link to a similar recipe that gives more precise measurements).  <-- also, I love pine nuts so I know that I eventually through more in.  Hint: to prevent pine nuts from going bad, freeze them! They are expensive so you want to use all them!
  • 1/3 cup of Parmesan (I definitely added a bit more since I love cheese and especially Parmesan, so I sprinkled more in afterward)
  • 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped (again depends on your taste and how much you are making)






Throw all these ingredients (besides the remaining olive oil) into the food processor start chopping, add the rest of the olive oil and chop until the right texture you desire.


Afterwards, spray an ice tray with non-stick spray (like Pam, I use coconut spray but that is what I had and also what I prefer to use for cooking, but it does have a little bit of a taste to it just to let you know).

Then spoon an amount into each cube (or as many as you can fill) - not overflowing but a good helping!


Then cover with saran wrap and stick in freezer.  When you want to use it, pull it out and you will have to use a knife to help get it out but then you have an individual serving!


 Thanks for reading!

With joy,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment