Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tasty Tuesday Guac Style

Hey Y'all!

Busy morning here in the office.  So I just thought I'd share my recipe for guacamole.  It is one of my favorite go tos! And it always is so good and the way I make it, quite refreshing.  It is a fairly simple recipe but sometimes that is the best!  For July 4th, my sister and I made guac and queso - I made the guac and she made the queso.  Her recipe was super spicy and I only tried it with one chip.  It was too much for me to handle so my guac was just light, refreshing and not heavy on spice at all.  Probably the perfect compliment.

Ingredients:

  • avocados (depends on how much you want to make, this recipe we used up 2.5 because that was what we had and they were soft).  
  • one tomato (hothouse, vine, etc... again it is to your preference).
  • at least 1 (or 3) garlic cloves
  • 1 or half of one yellow onion (or sweet) 
  • lime juice (either in the bottle, though when S makes it, she always used fresh squeezing the two halves into the guac)

Directions:
  • I always start with the avocados.  Make sure they are soft, otherwise it can be a pain to mash and it does affect the guac - just let them sit out for a day and they should be fine (trick to get them to last, put them in the fridge).  My mom taught me a good trick to get them easily out of their skin.  It is to quarter them and then it is easy to separate from the seed and also from the skin.
  • I like to mash the guac first because then everything else just has to be folded into it. 
  • Once it is mashed, de-seed the tomato (unless you want to keep that extra liquid in) in your sink.  then cut into as many pieces as you prefer (either fine or chunky).
  • Pour the tomatoes into the avocado mash in a bowl. You don't have to stir them in yet but if you want to go ahead.
  • Next finely chop up the garlic and onion (but again depending on what you prefer you can keep it rougher - S always liked to see her onion pieces, while I prefer not too).
  • Pour those ingredients in and then fold them into the avocado mash.
  • Almost done, just need to squeeze the lime in or add the lime juice (at least 1 tbsp) if not more and then fold in some more.  

That is all you need to do to get a fresh guac.  Now this is a great base and if you want, you can add corn (which I love to do, but my dad hates that and wouldn't let me slice in grilled corn left over from the previous meal), or beans, or jalapenos, or peppers of any sort, or coriander (a spice my mom likes to add).  What is great about this recipe is that it is really just a base and if you want to add more of anything you can.  

Now I eat my guacamole with whole grain pita chips or sweet potato chips.  But my sister goes for the regular corn chips with lime flavor.  It is also delicious to use as a condiment and put on sandwiches - I mean guac goes with everything I feel. And it is so good for you! Basically, I am trying to justify the fact that this bowl was clean by the end of the evening and I probably ate about half of it, if not more.

Thanks for reading!

With joy,

A


No comments:

Post a Comment